It’s New Year’s – the beginning of change and a fresh start. Every year, millions of people make resolutions to better themselves mental, physically, and/or emotionally. It’s great when someone sticks to the plan and accomplishes their goal. But, for the rest of us, keeping those resolutions usually only lasts about 2 weeks.
So, here is a New Kind of Resolution to think about for 2014 from CNN Health. According to Dr. Amy Crawford-Faucher, a family physician at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, “Good health happens when the physical, emotional and social or environmental parts of our lives are in a balance.”
Pick one or several “New Kind” of New Year’s Resolution to help you in 2014:
- Get Some Fresh Air – make an effort to take in more fresh air. This could be in your backyard, on your porch, or at a local park. Find a place you feel comfortable and relaxed. Try to add or accumulate at least 15 minutes of fresh air each day. Walking around your block or office building, parking your car farther from the door in parking lots, or gardening can all help improve your fresh air intake.
- Step Away from the Screen – make an active decision to decrease the amount of screen time you consume. This includes all TVs, computers, video games, tablets, and mobile devices.
- Sleep More – 8 hours is the goal, but even an extra 15 to 30 minutes can help your health.
- Add Something – this could be adding more vegetables, fruits, or proteins into your meals. Drinking more water, reading for 15 minutes, doing yoga or meditation for 15 minutes, etc. It’s whatever you’d like to add into your life.
- Stop Multitasking – be more present in the moment – mindfulness. Stop eating in front of the TV, checking emails while playing with your children, talking on the phone while checking out at the supermarket. Make an effort to fully be aware of what’s going on around you.
- Take Time to Breathe – breathing properly allows for better circulation through the body, and decreases anxiety and higher blood pressure.
- Try Something New – have you always wanted to get out and try something new? This is the year to do it. From new hobbies, to activities, or sports, find something you are passionate about and love doing.
- Be Better – this could be little self-improvements each day. From being nice to that co-worker who annoys you, to playing with your children more, to drinking less carbonated drinks. It’s up to you to decide on how you want to improve yourself.
- Choose a Theme – pick one word that describes how you want to feel – NOT what you think you should do or accomplish. Examples are: Simplicity, Accuracy, Transparency, Original, Reliability, Tranquility, etc. Make sure to write down and say out loud your theme or word every so often. This will help keep you connected to your word throughout the year. Let the word guide you to help with your behavior, actions, and the little things in life.
There are also the traditional New Year’s Resolutions too. Here are the most popular Resolutions:
- Lose weight
- Volunteer and help others
- Quit smoking
- Get a better education
- Get a better job
- Save money
- Get fit
- Eat healthy
- Manage stress
- Manage debt
- Take a trip
- Reduce, reuse, and recycle
- Drink less alcohol
If you have a Resolution every year, or are new to finding one, Bish’s RV wishes you the best for 2014!
**Sources for this Blog Post:
“Make a new kind of New Year’s resolution” by Jacque Wilson, CNN
“Popular New Year’s Resolutions” USA.gov